Our COVID-19 requirements are evolving and we will continue to keep this up-to-date as we learn more.
PASSPORT ALERT: The U.S. has warned that it may take up to 24 weeks to renew, so please check your expiration date and contact your local passport office for details.
This update gives you our educated guess about best practices. We will of course respond to emerging information and continue our aim for wise choices based upon best practices.
Based on the population vaccination rates in the US and in Mexico, as well as the overall low baseline prevalence of COVID-19 after the 2022 holiday travels in both countries, the Modern Elder Academy is no longer requiring our guests to show proof of vaccination nor a negative COVID-19 test.
That said, we acknowledge and emphasize that vaccination, boosters, and testing are still the best measures to ensure the health and safety of our guests and staff, and we strongly recommend that each of our guests follow these guidelines:
- Mexico does not require a test to enter the country. While we also do not require proof of a negative COVID test, we kindly request that each of our guests get their own negative test result – administered within 24 hours of arrival - to help ensure the safety of all participants and staff at MEA. In the event that you would have a positive test result, we ask that you don’t travel to MEA and contact our Admissions Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We also strongly recommend being fully vaccinated and getting boosted before traveling; but it’s no longer a prerequisite to visit MEA, based on the stage of the pandemic. According to the CDC, the latest bivalent boosters (the omicron shot) are 15 times more likely to reduce severe disease than no vaccination, and 2 times more likely to reduce severe disease than just the initial series of vaccines.
- Masks are optional, and please respect each person’s preference and refrain from commenting whether or not someone should be masking.
Also for your information:
- Our entire Baja staff is fully double-vaccinated, and boosted whenever available. We continue to facilitate more boosters as they become available in both countries.
- The workshops feature both open air programming and indoor classes (with standalone HEPA air filters).
We respect your individual discretion and choices, so please continue to look after yourselves, our staff, and our community by making the best choices possible while traveling and interacting.
Campus Health Protocols
The health and protection of our guests and team are of utmost importance to us. We follow all CDC cleaning and disinfecting recommendations for hard and soft surfaces, electronics, linens, laundry, and trash handling in all our shared spaces and guest rooms. In the wake of COVID-19 and new protocols, our staff now dedicate twice as much time on cleaning rooms between guest stays — and common high-touch areas will be cleaned multiple times each day (and we have ample hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes available throughout the campus).
Additionally, our housekeeping staff wear masks during the cleaning of rooms and common areas and will do so until this is no longer best-in-class protocol for hospitality operations. To reduce contact between staff and guests, rooms will be cleaned twice weekly, and laundry facilities are available daily for guests’ own use.
Our goal throughout the pandemic is to provide refuge and community. We hope to offer a place to gather and operate as safely as possible — in a way that feels welcoming and spacious — returning some measure of agency and dignity to our lives. Therefore, we’ve created an environment, without a big list of rules, where common sense and kindness lead the charge.
We’ve asked our staff to increase their vigilance during their off hours. And we are asking all of you good people please…
- wash hands when moving between spaces
- do not invite visitors to our closed campus
- if you are traveling in cars with others, wear masks and keep windows open
- don’t lick random things or people 😉
U.S. Entry Requirements
As of June 12th the CDC no longer requires international travelers entering the U.S. to present a negative COVID-19 test result.
Deposit and Tuition Payment Policy
For full-tuition students, a 50% deposit is due at the time of your application. Your acceptance will be confirmed within 3-5 business days. If we’re unable to confirm acceptance, your deposit will be automatically refunded. The balance is due 30 days before the start of your workshop.
Financial aid applicants will be notified of acceptance either within 3-5 business days for Gold Award level or within five weeks prior to the start of the workshop for Platinum Award level. The remainder of tuition is due in full within five business days of the award notification.
Our Refund Policy
As you read through our policies, please note we highly recommend purchasing Allianz travel insurance to cover unforeseen illness, travel complications, flight interruptions, and other emergencies. You can also get multiple quotes from Square Mouth.
Our 24-Hour Cancel Policy
Planning a trip to Mexico can be complicated. Rest assured you can cancel your workshop application and request a full refund of your deposit payment within 24 hours with no penalty.
Other Cancellation/Credit Requests
In the unlikely event MEA must cancel a workshop due to unforeseen circumstances, you will receive a full refund.
For participants needing to cancel after our 24-hour grace period, our policy is as follows:
30 Days or More Prior to Your Workshop Start Date
MEA understands life events can pop up, making traveling to your planned workshop not possible. Should you need to cancel your attendance to your planned workshop, MEA will provide a 1-time credit to move you to a new workshop within 3 months of the original workshop start date, based upon availability. There will be a $125 change fee added to your final invoice.
Should you not be able to attend one of the offered workshops or there is no remaining availability to move you, MEA will provide a refund minus a 5% administrative fee.
Less than 30 Days Prior to Your Workshop
Your deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable. We highly recommend purchasing travel insurance to protect you from unforeseen circumstances that may prevent you from attending for any reason including, but not limited to illness, travel interruptions, family emergencies, etc.
In the event of COVID illness, illness/injury, and other events preventing you from attending your workshop and/or re·fresh, we HIGHLY recommend purchasing travel insurance to protect your investment in the event we are unable to offer a refund or credit. We recommend Allianz Travel. No matter who you choose, we recommend reviewing the coverage in great detail to ensure you’re covered.
Note: If you an urgent travel-related issue the week prior to a workshop, or on the weekend, please call or WhatsApp Alondra at +52 612 104 4953