Join Us for a Baja Workshop with Financial Aid.
He was a wealthy, retired investment banker in his mid-40s who had a lot of money but little purpose. She was a wise social worker in her early-60s who was filled with purpose but had little money.
Just looking and listening to the two of them at the start of their MEA workshop, you would never have guessed that they would mutually mentor each other. They went for long walks on the beach, talking about their futures. As we say at MEA, “wisdom isn’t taught, it’s shared,” which was clearly evident in these two.
We know that our entire society is made stronger when everyone has the opportunity to learn, participate, and grow, regardless of economic status. To support diverse learning, we are committed to having a portion of our workshop participants receive some type of financial aid.. Historically, more than 50% of our MEA Baja workshop participants have tapped into our financial aid based on a needs basis. The financial aid request is included in MEA’s workshop application form.
We offer two levels of financial aid for those who qualify.
Applications requesting financial aid will be in a shared room with another participant of the same gender. Our Gold level will be placed on an upgrade list for a private room should one be available. This is not guaranteed, but it does happen frequently. Exceptions for specific medical or personal conditions may be considered.
- Gold: $1,250 award (Participants are responsible for $2750 tuition.)
- Platinum:: $2,500 award (Participants are responsible for $1500 tuition.)
We announce Gold-level awards within 5 business days of application submission. We announce Platinum-level awards no more than 5 weeks before the requested workshop start date.
In sum, if you have a financial need, apply for the Gold-level if:
- You want an immediate answer
- You seek the possibility of receiving a single occupancy room (not guaranteed), and
- You hope for a higher likelihood that you’ll receive your first choice of workshop
Apply for the Platinum-level if your highest priority is to save money because of your financial situation and all the other variables are secondary, including the fact that we may only be able to place you in your second choice workshop.
Here are the fall workshops that still have the most availability for financial aid:
- Black Modern Elder Week: October 9-16
- Love, Death and Human Connection: October 23-30
- Write for Your Life: Discovering Yourself and Your Purpose: October 30-November 6
- Body Wisdom: Keep Moving for Life!: November 6-13
- Regenerating Soil and Soul: People, Planet and Purpose: November 21-26
Please be aware that we have more requests for aid than we have available. Applying for full tuition is the only way to guarantee you’ll be accepted into your preferred workshop, assuming it’s not sold out.
For those of you who have the financial means to support MEA’s financial aid programs, feel free to review AGE (Association for Growth and Education), our affiliated non-profit. We currently have a wide variety of alums and organizations who donate to this worthy charity.